Friday, September 22, 2006

insomniac ramblings

I oughta go to bed, I've got a class third hour tomorrow, but I'm SO not sleepy.

There's a thunderstorm outside. It's pretty awesome. And a train. One of about a kajillion in this town daily, it would seem, but I actually don't mind. It makes up for the lack of highway traffic I'm used to at home. Now instead of constant trucks and the occasional train, it's just constant trains. And the ones at night always sound cooler than the ones during the day. I've no idea why, but it's true. And I also find it odd that you can tell the difference between the passenger trains and the freight trains based on the sound alone---the track by my house is a freight-only line, so I never realized before how much quieter the passenger trains are! They make this really cool kind of whooshing hum, that's very peaceful to listen to as I'm lying in bed trying to sleep.

On a totally unrelated note, we're reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X for my FP class. It's a good read, but honestly, so far I really don't like the guy. Maybe that's just the racist white person in me talking (because god knows I'm such a fucking bigot) but somehow, when somebody makes sweeping generalizations about all white people being greedy and self-obsessed, isn't that kind of, oh I don't know, racist? Idk, I'm just really hoping this doesn't turn into Mr. Schantz's "diversity" class all over again---the whole premise was, you're all racist and don't know it and you need to stop.

Well, okay, I'm really going to bed now. I swear. Maybe.

*wanders off singing "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist"*

No comments: